Increasing Your Home’s Value
It really makes no difference the market condition, it bears repeating, you must have your home, condo, flat or townhome ready for the Houston real estate market the moment it debuts on the MLS (multiple listing service). To do otherwise places you and your Harris County property at a distinct disadvantage and it might wind up costing you thousands of dollars or possibly delay the sale of your home. This creates unwarranted stress you shouldn’t have to endure.
So before you sign a listing agreement, make sure your Houston luxury home is ready to compete by paying close attention to these details.
The big remodeling jobs
Many Houston area homeowners ask us what types of home improvements provide the best return on their investment an increase their home’s value. Here are few ideas you may want to consider particularly if the home is “dated”.
Kitchen updates and improvements including cabinet refacing or replacement, new travertine tile, replace dated appliances with top of the line appliances like Viking stove or Bosch dishwasher. One area that might need to be addressed is adding more storage.
Bathroom updates. In today’s Houston luxury home market, buyers are placing a greater emphasis on their master bath offering “spa-like” amenities. So we recommend you consider updates like towel-warmers, heated tile floors, lavish showers with multiple jet shower heads, soaking tubs and any other amenity that provides those highly sought after creature comforts. Another thought you consider is installing “low-flow” toilets for the “green-minded” buyers.
Cost-effective quick fixes and attention grabbers!
- First impressions count! Focus on curb appeal by adding fresh landscaping. Add fresh mulch or pine straw to your planter beds.
- Power-wash the driveway and sidewalk.
- Power-wash the exterior siding and paint where needed. Repaint the front door.
- Make your Houston home sparkle inside and out. A thorough cleaning is a must.
- Eliminate any noticeable odors (pets, food or tobacco products).
- Organize countertops, cabinets and closets to show their maximum storage capabilities.
- De-clutter the house by removing items you don’t need or use on a daily basis.
- De-personalize the home so your buyer can “see” their belongings in your Harris County home. Remove family photos and heirlooms or other collectibles that are a distraction.
- Is the carpet stained and worn? Consider replacing it.
- Bright colors might appeal to you but what about your buyers? It is recommended you paint your rooms in neutral colors.
- Stage your Houston home to solicit a “top-dollar” bid. Give potential buyers a chance to envision their possibilities in the home.
- Beat the buyer! Have your Houston home inspected before the property is placed on the market and offers are presented. This will reveal any defects your home has and allow you time to make repairs prior to the home hitting the market. Once the recommended repairs are completed, be sure to provide a copy of the report to buyers with a list of the repairs completed